Nativity, also known as The Holy Night or the Adoration of the Shepherds, was commissioned by Alberto Pratoneri for his family chapel in the church of St. Prosper of Reggio Emilia, in 1522. Correggio did not finish the work until the end of the decade, and it was placed in the church in 1530. The painting pivots around the baby, cradled in Mary’s arms, who emits a soft yellow glow, illuminating the dark night. A group of several angels hide in the clouds above, witnessing the scene. The painting was moved to Modena, Italy in 1640, and it is now housed in the Old Master’s Picture Gallery in Dresden, Germany.